Thursday Trash Route Cancelled
Community Waste Disposal has cancelled garbage and recycling service for Thursday, Feb. 3 due to forecasted inclement weather. CWD has informed us they will monitor the road conditions on Thursday to determine the pickup schedule for Thursday and Friday routes. Updates will be posted on their website.
Tips to Protect Your Home
- Disconnect all outside water hoses
- Insulate pipes & faucets in unheated areas
- Locate shut-off valve. Some homes have accessible valves, while others only have shut-off valves in the meter boxes. Keep our Utility Service number handy & contact us in an emergency 972-317-2989, or after-hours use the HVPD non-emergency number, 972-317-6551
- Open cabinets to plumbing that run along exterior walls to let in warm air and turn on faucets to a drip
- Protect pool equipment
- Do NOT run irrigation system
What the City is Doing
The City of Highland Village Street Department is preparing for the upcoming winter weather. A brine has been applied to the bridges on FM 2499 and on the major intersections in the City. A brine application prevents ice and snow from bonding to the pavement and is considered a proactive, cost-effective and environmentally safe practice for winter road maintenance. Street crews are prepared to sand major roadways as need per their sanding operation plan. City crews are not able to sand every roadway, so please use caution if you must travel on icy roads.
Street crews have also applied brine to City facility parking lots allowing First Responders (public works, fire and police) the ability to respond to emergency calls.
Parks and Recreation staff are winterizing and turning off all drinking fountains throughout the city beginning Wednesday, February 2. The following restrooms will also be closed:
- Highland Village Tennis Center
- Copperas Branch Park
- Doubletree Ranch Park
- Unity Park Concession
- Unity Park Gray Field
The following restrooms will remain open as long as there are no power failures:
- Lakeside Community Park
- Unity Park Kids Kastle
- Pilot Knoll Park Overnight and Day-Use
Drinking fountains and all restrooms will reopen on Monday, February 7, barring any unforeseen changes in the weather forecast.