We have had some residents ask questions after hearing the DFW Landfill is no longer accepting waste from Highland Village’s solid waste service provider, Community Waste Disposal, after December 31, 2019.
A little background, the DFW Landfill is owned by Waste Management of Texas. The City’s solid waste contract with Waste Management expired August 31, 2018. In December 2017 the City requested proposals for solid waste and recycling services. Three proposals were received. Community Waste Disposal’s proposal provided the lowest monthly fee and provided enhanced service over the Waste Management contract. The five-year contract with CWD began on September 3, 2018. CWD does not own a landfill and contracted with the DFW Landfill along with several other landfills throughout North Texas. Our contract with CWD does not designate a specific landfill for Highland Village’s solid waste, it is up to the contractor to determine the best landfill based on TCEQ requirements.
In late September, 2019 the City received a letter from Waste Management of Texas stating they will no longer accept our waste at the DFW Landfill after December 31, 2019 due to limited remaining airspace capacity and ultimate closure. Since receiving the notification CWD has secured a contract with the City of Denton landfill for waste disposal. It is our understanding the Denton landfill will be the designated location for Highland Village’s waste.
The five-year contract with Community Waste Disposal includes an annual rate review which is tied to the DFW CPI Index, the cost of natural gas fuel and the gate rate at the landfill.
With the closure of the DFW Landfill, residents still have options to dispose of bulk waste items.
- Our current CWD contract allows a resident of Highland Village to deliver up to three (3) cubic yards of debris to the CWD transfer station located at 2010 California Crossing Rd., Dallas, TX once per calendar month. Must show proof of residency. Check the city’s website for day and time restrictions.
- You can place up to two (2) cubic yards of bulk waste out on your regularly scheduled trash service day and CWD will remove it at no additional cost.
- You can schedule a special pick up with CWD by calling them to set it up at 972-392-9300. Additional charges may apply.
- The Camelot Landfill in Lewisville, Texas operated by Republic Services is still operational and will allow a resident to dump there, however you are subject to a gate rate fee. Call 972-492-3888 to verify.
- The City of Denton Landfill located on Mayhill Rd. in Denton is still operational and will allow a resident to dump there, however you are subject to a gate rate fee. Call 940-349-8041 to verify.