Get Involved - Become a City Councilmember
If you are interested in becoming a City Councilmember the following qualifications must be met:
- The mayor and each councilmember shall be a citizen of the City for a period of 12 months, as well as a qualified voter of the State of Texas.
- If the mayor or any councilmember fails to maintain the foregoing qualifications or any of the following is true, the City Council shall at its next regular meeting declare a vacancy to exist and shall fill said vacancy as set forth in the City Charter:
- Is convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude
- Holds any other public office other than as a notary public or a member of the military
- Moves from the City
- Misses three consecutive regularly scheduled meetings, without valid excuse as determined by the City Council
- Violates the City Charter.
- If the mayor or any councilmember files an application to be a candidate for election to a public office in this state, other than for re-election to the currently held office, such filing shall constitute a forfeiture of the office and a vacancy shall be created.
For more information, contact the City Secretary's Office at (972) 899-5132.