Forms to Complete to File for Office
Thank you for your interest in a position on the City of Highland Village City Council. Your Application, Petition, and Appointment of Campaign Treasurer (CTA) must be submitted when you file for office. The following forms are to be filed with the City Secretary's Office.
- Application and Instructions to Place Name on the Highland Village General Election Ballot. - Each candidate must file an application form and petition in order to have his/her name on the ballot. Please note the oath that is included on the application, which must be sworn before a notary public.
- Petition and Instructions for a Place on the Highland Village General Election Ballot
Per the Texas Election Code 143.005(d), for any petition required or authorized to be filed in connection with a candidate's application for a place on the ballot for an office of a home-rule city, the minimum number of signatures that must appear on the petition is the greater of:
(1) 25; or
(2) One-half of one percent of the total vote received in the territory from which the office is elected by all candidates for mayor in the most recent mayoral general election.
For the 2021 General Election, candidates shall have a minimum of 25 signatures of qualified voters of the territory from which the office is sought, although more are recommended for verification purposes. Your petition pages must be submitted with your application. Be sure to have the affidavit completed.
- Appointment of Campaign Treasurer by a Candidate (CTA) and Instruction Guide - In accordance with Texas Law, you must designate a Campaign Treasurer before you can accept campaign contributions and before any funds can be expended. Even if you do not intend to accept campaign contributions or make campaign expenditures, you must file this form. You may name yourself as treasurer. Please note the statement that must be signed regarding the nepotism law.
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices (CFCP) and Chapter 258, Election Code Information from the Texas Ethics Commission - Your subscription to this Code is voluntary.
- Certificate of Withdrawal - A filed candidate may withdraw from candidacy by filing the Certificate of Withdrawal form with the City Secretary. The request must be acknowledged before a notary public.