City Council Candidate Information
The City Charter, Sec. 8.02, outlines the Eligibility to File for office. Each candidate for any elective City office shall meet the following qualifications:
- Shall be a qualified and effectively registered voter of the City;
- Shall have resided within the corporate limits of the City, including the annexed territory, for the twelve consecutive months prior to the date of election;
- Shall meet the requirements of sponsorship required in Section 8.02.B (petition);
- Shall not file for more than one office or position number per election;
- Subject to the provisions of City Charter, Section 3.06, shall resign from the office and the position declared vacant if an incumbent and seeking another office or position number; and
- Shall not continue as a City employee after becoming a candidate for an elective office.
Anyone interested in filing for a place on a general election ballot will find the required forms on the City's website.
State law identifies the filing period for the May 1, 2021 General Election for City Council Places 3, 5 and 7 as follows:
First day to file an application for a place on the ballot: January 13, 2021 (108th day before election)
Last day to file an application for a place on the ballot: February 12, 2021 (78th day before election)
During the filing period, candidates may file their application for the above-referenced places from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, at the City Secretary's Office located at the 1000 Highland Village Road.