- Municipal Court
- Ticket Options
- Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Course
Sign Up for Defensive Driving (Moving Violations Only)
Prior to the ticket due date (appearance date) you must request to take defensive driving. If you were:
- Operating a motorcycle, you must take a motorcycle operator’s training course.
- Charged with transporting a child not in a safety belt or child passenger safety seat system, you must take a driving safety course that has four hours of instruction about seat belts and child passenger safety seat systems.
Course EligibilityIndividuals eligible to take defensive driving:
- Have not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months.
- Are not currently taking a driving safety course for another traffic violation.
- Do not have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Did not receive a citation for any of the following offenses:
- Failure to Give Information at an Accident Scene
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Fleeing or Attempting to Elude a Police Officer
- Reckless Driving
- Passing a School Bus
- A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators.
- An offense in a construction zone when workers are present.
- Speeding in excess of 24 mph over the posted limit.
- Present proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance) that was valid the day the citation was issued.
- Present a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest).
- Pay the court costs and administrative fee of:
- $143.90 for moving violations that did not occur in a school zone.
- $168.90 for moving violations that did occur in a school zone.
- Complete the Driver Safety Course (DSC) Affidavit.