Driving Safety Course
Sign Up for Defensive Driving (Moving Violations Only)
Prior to the ticket due date (appearance date) you must request to take defensive driving. If you were:
- Operating a motorcycle, you must take a motorcycle operator’s training course.
- Charged with transporting a child not in a safety belt or child passenger safety seat system, you must take a driving safety course that has four hours of instruction about seat belts and child passenger safety seat systems.
Course EligibilityIndividuals eligible to take defensive driving:
- Have not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months.
- Are not currently taking a driving safety course for another traffic violation.
- Do not have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Did not receive a citation for any of the following offenses:
- Failure to Give Information at an Accident Scene
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident
- Fleeing or Attempting to Elude a Police Officer
- Reckless Driving
- Passing a School Bus
- A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators.
- An offense in a construction zone when workers are present.
- Speeding in excess of 24 mph over the posted limit.
- Present proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance) that was valid the day the citation was issued.
- Present a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest).
- Pay the court costs and administrative fee of:
- $143.90 for moving violations that did not occur in a school zone.
- $168.90 for moving violations that did occur in a school zone.
- Complete the Driver Safety Course (DSC) Affidavit.