Do I Need a Permit?
You MUST obtain a permit if you are attempting to:
Peddle, sell, solicit, canvass, or take orders for any services, wares, merchandise, or goods, or any article of value, including plants, flowers, paintings, novelties, painting house numbers on streets, firewood, books, magazines, photographs, or any articles for future delivery, on a sidewalk, parking lot or parkway within the city or from door to door without having first obtained a permit therefore from the city.
The following individuals and organizations are EXEMPT from fees for obtaining a permit but must still register:
- Public utility companies or others operating under a franchise granted by the city.
- Commercial agents dealing with local business establishments in the usual course of business.
- Insurance salesmen, real estate salesmen and others licensed by the state, and political groups or organizations which are subject to financial disclosure under state or federal law.
The following individuals and organizations are EXEMPT from obtaining a permit or registering:
- Persons engaged in solicitation for charitable, religious or civic related activities seeking a contribution for said purpose.
All solicitors, regardless of whether they are required to obtain a permit are required to observe the following regulations:
- Only allowed between 9am until sunset Monday - Saturday
- Soliciting is prohibited on Sundays, New Years Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Children under ten (10) years of age can only participate if supervised by an adult person at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Need a Permit?
- Download the Solicitor's Permit Application
- Complete an Additional Solicitor form for each person who will be soliciting for your organization (at the back of the application)
- Turn in the completed applications along with (2) passport size photos and a copy of the drivers license for each individual applying.
- All applicants must pass a background investigation
- It takes 7 - 10 business days to receive your permit.
How Much Does It Cost?
- The original application is $200
- Each additional applicant is $50
- The solicitor's permit is valid for 90 days.
- If you come in to renew your permit BEFORE the expiration date, you can renew the permit with no changes (no additional persons may be added) for no charge.
- Each permit is allowed one free renewal after initial payment. (For example, a continued user would pay for first 90 days, get next 90 days for free, pay for next 90 days, get next 90 days for free, etc.)
Solicitor Ordinance & Questions
Click here for a link to our city ordinance regarding solicitors. If you have any questions regarding the solicitor permits, contact Police Records at (972) 317-5558 ext 555.